We’ve all heard the horrors and the side-effects of store-bought spray-on products. Sunblock prevents us from getting sunburns but studies show they can cause skin cancer. Other skin products like bug repellent, tanning oil and cold spray also have their own side effects.
Good news is you can make your own bug spray with essential oils that are good for your skin. If you have access to an all-organic store, opt for organic products. The more natural the ingredients are, the better.
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe from Don’t Waste the Crumbs.
Homemade Bug Repellent Spray and Rub On
For the rub on homemade bug repellent, you would need the following:
- a small jar or bottle (you can use travel bottles you can buy from the pharmacy)
- base or carrier oil (something that would stick on and good for the skin)
- 10-20 drops of your preferred essential oils
If you’re wondering what kind of essential oils to use, our source have made a list for you.
- Mosquitoes: Peppermint, Lemon, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Thyme, Geranium, Clove, Sage, Cinnamon, Rosemary
- Flies/Gnats: Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Melaleuca, Rosemary
- Ticks: Peppermint, Geranium, Thyme, Melaleuca, Cedarwood
You simply put 2 table spoons of your base oil and then add the essentials oils you want at least a total of 10-20 drops. Shake it well and it’s ready for use!
For the SPRAY ON, you would need a bit more ingredients. The recipe calls for:
- carrier or base oil
- 15-25 drops of essential oils
- distilled water
- vodka or alcohol-free witch hazel
- 2 oz. spray bottle
Combine 1 1/2 Tbsp of distilled water, 1 tsp of base oil, 1 tsp of vodka or witch hazel in the spray bottle. Then, you add the 15-25 drops of your preferred essential oils. Shake it and voila! It is spray ready! You can easily make more of it by doubling the measurements and combining them in a bigger spray bottle.
Easy peasy, right? Check out the full recipe here. This homemade bug repellent is perfect for daily use and camping trips. Plus, the essential oils will keep your skin smooth and healthy.
Ready to give it a try?